Friday, 16 January 2015

16.Black Mt. Pastel

Black Mt. by Jan Davidson

While hiking last August, snapped a photo of this small island in one of the many lakes on top of Black Mountain.  The small island and dark forest backdrop drew me to this scene. Only a week prior to our outing, my sister and I discussed painting from a backlit photo.  We both feel it can result in a dramatic painting.
It is difficult taking a good photo of this painting and I believe the reason is that I expected the painting to be much better. In fact, the areas where it could be improved seem to stand out more from a photo perspective.  There may be some way of providing better lighting to take a photo of a picture and will do some research before my next pastel is finished.

2 comments:

  1. The island really moves forward and stands out in the photo.

    ReplyDelete