An oak tree is the subject of my photo today. It was quite interesting to find that along the King George Boulevard, heritage oak trees were planted many years ago.
King George VI Highway opened in October 1940 to honour the reigning monarch. Oak tree seedlings from Great Windsor Park in England were sent to members of the Commonwealth throughout the world, to commemorate the coronation of King George VI that took place in 1937. Most of the surviving trees are located along the King George Boulevard between the Nicomekl River and the Highway 99 junction at 8 Avenue.
Driving along King George Boulevard, (the name was changed from King George VI Highway to King George Boulevard in 2009) I hoped that I would spot on oak tree. As I drove, I thought “there is no way I will be able to figure out which ones are oak trees”. But I was wrong! There’s a path that runs adjacent to the highway and I spotted green markers in front of what looked like oak trees. After pulling the car over, I ran over to the tree and sure enough, the plaque in the photo below sits in front of each one of the oak trees. And, there’s a lot of them! A learning moment and another reason that I am so happy to do the Photo a Day. This photo would be so much better in the spring or summer, but will suffice for now.
![]() |
| Quercus robur |


I saw some of them when I took the car in to be serviced.
ReplyDeleteI saw some of them when I took the car in to be serviced.
ReplyDelete