Looking for written Chinese in White Rock proved to be a difficult task. In Vancouver, one need not go very far to find the ever present jau-lauh (restaurant). How quickly the diversity of culture changes in a few kilometers. In Richmond, the closest Chinese community to White Rock, street names are displayed in Chinese and Cantonese and is the only language spoken in some malls. I believe one would be hard pressed to find English spoken in the Aberdeen Mall.
White Rock it seems, is a last vestige for the English language in the Lower Mainland, although I miss the Chinese culture in Vancouver. Chinese New Year is fast approaching, February 19th, the year of the Goat/Sheep. Festivities will start preceding the new Lunar Year and will continue for up to 15 days after.
The photo today is from none other than the Silver Dragon Restaurant, the only Chinese restaurant in our vicinity and the only establishment that I could find with written Chinese adorning the outside.
It seemed easy to decide on the photo of the day, not so easy to find written Chinese, anywhere in White Rock.

No comments:
Post a Comment